Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas 2012

Even though this was technically our third Christmas together, we count this as our family's first real Christmas. Our first year we joined in with my family's Christmas celebration in Georgia, and last year Christmas was spent in the hospital getting the best gift we ever could have imagined (that's Trevor, in case you forgot), so this year was the first Christmas where it was just our little family celebrating together. And it was awesome.

Christmas Eve is probably my favorite day of the year. I love everything about it. This year we feasted with Libby, Paul and Vincent for Christmas Eve dinner. It was really nice to be able to spend some time with them and the food was absolutely delicious.

We went home and had a short reading of the Christmas Story in Luke and we each got to open one present from each other. I have been wanting some Christmas decorations, and Ben got me the most adorable Christmas count down thing ever. I love it!
When Ben and I were dating we messaged each other on facebook all the time. It's a thread of messages that kind of act like a journal for us that we still add on to every once in a while. I made a book out of them and gave it to Ben for Christmas.

 When I was like 12, Mom and Granma tried to teach me to crochet. I got the very basics down and made a scarf one time, but that was about the extent of my crocheting skills. A couple days before Christmas I started feeling ambitious and decided I wanted to crochet Trevor some slippers. After a night of finding patterns online and getting super frustrated because I couldn't understand a thing any of them were saying, I stumbled upon a youtube video of a woman crocheting some baby slippers. It was awesome and very clear and I could watch to learn how she did the fancy things. Incredible. Anyway, I switched the pattern up just a little to make it a bit bigger for Trev, and then I was able to make these babies in under 24 hours, just in time for Christmas. And I am quite happy with how they turned out!

 That night we watched The Polar Express, went to bed, and woke up to this beauty!

This is a pretty good representation of how Trevor opens presents. One square inch at a time. This was the longest Christmas morning I can ever remember having. And I loved it!

 He would get really excited every time he opened something. Even things along the lines of the 1586558 articles of clothing he got, or his new plastic plates. Super fun to watch.


1 comment:

  1. Beck you are so fancy crocheting slippers in 5 seconds!!! I am proud to know you.
    And yalls tree is super gorgeous. Plus your faces are also gorgeous.
    Also, Trevor is extremely cute. I love the surprised/excited face when he opened that present. :)
    Love you!
    PS- I think I'm going through Griffioen family withdrawals... going from seeing all of you at least twice a week to not seeing you at all for forever is ridiculously un-fun. You should all call me every day. :)

    ReplyDelete